Driving in Malta can be an easy way to explore the island at your own pace.
However it is important to note the following:
- Cars are all right hand drive meaning that all driving takes place on the left side of the road
- Basic road regulations, such as driving with a seatbelt on and not using a mobile phone while driving, should be followed
- The speed limit ranges from 40km/h to 80km/h – be on the lookout for signage indicating the appropriate speed limit
- Street parking is free however in many towns it might be difficult to find available spaces – most touristic areas are equipped with relatively cheap private parking
- Bear in mind that Maltese roads tend to be very busy so you need to leave ample time in order to get to your destination in a timely manner
- Take extra care when crossing roads – where possible, always use designated crossings (zebra or traffic lights) and remember that we drive on the left hand side of the road.